Sindhi Kali mirch ki Koki | Sindhi koki | Sindhi Black pepper flatbread | Recipe of Sindhi koki | How to make Sindhi koki | How to make kare mirch wari koki with step by step instructions
A breakfast dish from Sindhi cuisine, Sindhi Kali mirch ki Koki | Sindhi koki is a popular flatbread delicacy. It’s famous for its unique taste, crispy texture and super simple recipe to make with minimum ingredients, easily found in every kitchen.
4 main ingredients required to make Sindhi Kali mirch ki Koki | Sindhi koki
Made with only 4 ingredients, this flatbread, koki requires wheat flour, oil and milk and it’s spiced up with black pepper powder.
Masala koki and Sindhi koki, are they different?
Certainly yes. As I mentioned, Sindhi koki is kneaded with milk and flavoured with humble ingredient black pepper powder.
Moreover, not many people know about this authentic Sindhi koki, as when word koki is mentioned it’s assumed that it’s masala onion koki only.
Whereas masala koki is made using onions, coriander leaves and green chillies. There are numerous variations to make masala koki also, which may vary from home to home.
What is the texture of Koki?
This Koki/ flat bread gets it’s texture from oil and cold/warm milk. This Koki is not at all soft like chapati/paratha what we usually have. But Sindhi Koki is meant to be slightly hard and crunchy like biscuit.
Sindhi Koki goes really well with some boiled/fried eggs and tea/coffee. You may have it with papad, pickle and curd by its side.
We usually like to eat Koki for breakfast with a cup of chai and boiled eggs on the side.
Tips to prepare authentic Sindhi Kali mirch ki Koki | Sindhi koki
Here I am sharing few tips to keep in mind to make a perfect Sindhi koki. As when I first learnt this method I made many mistakes. But after few attempts I got the knack of making perfect koki.
Therefore I treasure this recipe as my Mother in Law taught me to make this, and She learnt it from her mother. Above all this is a meal in itself as it keeps you full for longer period of time.
So let’s get started…..
Pro tips to make Sindhi Kali mirch ki Koki | Sindhi koki
To begin with first mix the flour and oil properly, until it starts to resemble like bread crumbs. This would ensure that the koki is flaky enough.
Add milk little by little to knead the dough. The dough should be hard enough.
While rolling the koki/flatbread keep pushing the edges of koki inside, with your fingers. However the edges will be uneven though.
Step by Step instructions and pictorial presentation to make Koki
Take gehun ka atta/wheat flour. To this mix salt & black pepper powder according to your taste.
Next add oil and rub it well in between your palms till it resembles like bread crumbs.
Now slowly and gradually add cold or lukewarm milk with spoon into the dough. Knead the dough hard. It It should not be like chapati ka atta.
Recipe card 🔽
Sindhi Kali mirch ki Koki | Sindhi koki
- Wheat flour 1 cup
- Salt to taste about 1 tsp
- Coarse Black Pepper powder half a tbsp
- Oil 3 to 4 tsp
- Cold or lukewarm milk 5 to 6 tsp less or more
- Take gehun ka atta/wheat flour. To this mix salt & black pepper powder according to your taste.
- Next add oil and rub it well in between your palms till it resembles like bread crumbs.
- Now slowly and gradually add cold or lukewarm milk with spoon into the dough. Knead the dough hard. It should not be like chapati ka atta.
- The dough should be harder than Paratha dough/atta.
- Now roll it into a thick round disc by pressing the edges inside.
- Transfer this rolled koki/flatbread on hot griddle/tawa.
- Cook this on low to medium flame first on down side.
- Check if it is done in down side then flip it and cook on the other side also.
- Cook it well on low flame and if necessary brush it with very little oil.
- Serve hot with boiled eggs/half fried eggs & with masala tea.
I hope you guys enjoyed reading my today’s post. Please share your valuable feedback in comments with us, as we love to hear from you.
I will see you soon with yet another interesting recipe. Come right back a I love to have you around.