How to make Vegan Thai Red Curry Paste | Recipe of homemade red thai curry paste | How to make vegan Red thai curry paste at home with step by step instructions
Today I am sharing the recipe of how to make vegan Thai red curry paste that is very easy to make, very versatile and can be used or paired with variety of foods to enhance the flavor.
This is so full of flavors, spicy, perfect for curries, soups, sauces, and more.
This vegan Thai red curry paste requires just a blender/mortar pestle/food processor and your 15 minutes to prepare! This is kinda similar to Indian counterpart Green chutney and Sweet tamarind chutney.
How to make Vegan Thai Red Curry Paste, is it worth making at home?
My answer is YES.
There are many reasons to love this preparation. This is –
Easy to make
Better than store bought ones
and preservatives free.
You can use it for making curries, soups, pasta, noodles or can eat it as dip with Pakoda(Indian fritters), Idli or Dosa.
Traditionally, Thai curry paste calls for shrimp paste, but I have converted this into Vegan.
Though, this is not very authentic version to make red Thai curry paste but the end result was so good and satisfying.
How to store?
If any leftovers, or not using this curry paste right away, store this in an airtight glass bottle or pour the paste into the ice tray.
Once frozen, store these paste cubes in the airtight container or Ziploc bags for easy use.
In conclusion, whenever the need arise to use the cubes, just remove and thaw for a while and use it. This way your have ready homemade Thai curry paste that you can use in any of your dishes.
Step by step instructions and pictorial presentation of how to make vegan Thai red curry paste
De seed dry chilies and soak it in hot water to soften for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile roast coriander seeds, cumin and pepper on low heat until aromatic for about 2 minutes.
Drain out water from the chilies
grind the dry spices and lemon zest.
Add chilies, pulse them few times
Add ginger, garlic, lemon grass, lemon juice, salt and stems of fresh coriander leaves and grind until smooth.
If required add bit of liquid in which chilies were soaked, to facilitate the blending.
Its done. Taste test and adjust the salt accordingly.
It will be spicy and tangy, but balances out once added to the food.
1. Traditionally galangal is used but ginger works best for this recipe.
2. Original recipe calls for shallots but I have used onions
3. You can always substitute Kaffir lime leaves with fresh lemon juice.
Recipe Card 🔽
How to make Vegan Thai Red Curry Paste
- 15 Garlic cloves
- 15 dried red chilies
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 3 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3-4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Lemon zested
- 2 tablespoon ginger paste grated
- 4 tablespoon lemongrass stalks
- 3 tablespoon coriander leaves stems tender
- salt to taste
- De seed dry chilies and soak it in hot water to soften for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile roast coriander seeds, cumin and pepper on low heat until aromatic for about 2 minutes.
- Drain out water from the chilies
- grind the dry spices and lemon zest.
- Add chilies, pulse them few times
- Add ginger, garlic, lemon grass, lemon juice, salt and stems of fresh coriander leaves and grind until smooth.
- If required add bit of liquid in which chilies were soaked, to facilitate the blending.
- Its done. Taste test and adjust the salt accordingly.
- It will be spicy and tangy, but balances out once added to the food.
I hope you guys enjoyed reading my today’s post. Please share your valuable feedback in comments with us, as we love to hear from you.
I will see you soon with yet another interesting recipe. Come right back as I love to have you around.
Pin it for future reference ⬇️